Photobucket

August 13, 2013

dependent soul

When the things of this life which we cling to are ripped from our hands, when dreams and aspirations are placed just out of reach, when doors are closed, when our hopes are dashed... where else can we turn but to Christ? If we do not depend on Him, surely we will fall. A Christian might be dragged along and eventually come to the end of God's path, but scarred and having lost all opportunities to live righteously and store up treasure in heaven.

Everyone depends on something. Circumstances, dreams, money, pets, people... the list is endless. But the Christian must learn not to grasp these fleeting things, but depend only upon the Lord. Just like Peter, when walking on water towards Christ looked about at the storm all around him began to sink, so we, if we turn our eyes from God's will revealed in His Word, feel ourselves begin to drown.

I was drowning. I had to cry out for Christ to save me, and He pulled me up and out of the flood. I almost found it funny; my stupidity, that I had fallen yet again. Lord, how many time have You proved Your power and love to me? Countless times! And yet I still doubt. You let me go under only long enough to remind me that I need to depend on You alone. And then You always rescue me. Thank You, Lord!

People can tell themselves they don't depend on anything, but believe me, everyone does. It can be life itself, it can be the prospect of a brighter tomorrow, it can even be revenge... we've all seen the movies. Everyone wants something, everyone is driven by some desire and depends upon the arrival to their personal end. We are dependent souls. And because I can't stress it enough, I will repeat: unless a person depends only upon the Lord Jesus Christ, they will find themselves falling, and falling hard, drowning in the sin of selfish ambition and not fulfilling the glorious purpose of every man: living to give God glory.

Last week, as part of a testimony of things God has been teaching them recently, some dear friends of mine confessed a need for this dependence. I have been feeling the same absence of this Christian attribute in my life, and was grateful to see the Lord working to point out the same want in the lives of my brethren. We are wholly united; in our weaknesses, in the love and power of God, in the most certain hope of heaven. And this is to me a great comfort.

Yet, there has been no greater comfort than to know that God is with me. I depend on Him.

2 comments:

  1. A lovely post indeed! The Lord is sovereign and willing. He provides the dependance and we must depend on Him.

    ReplyDelete

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homemsg