Photobucket

July 20, 2011

Farewell, Violet Anthology

Dear Reader,
I had made a second blog specifically for sharing my written works a month or two ago. Unfortunately, parts of the appearance (such as the colors of various areas of text) have occasionally changed without my consent as well as becoming impossible to change back to normal without errors. I have decided, therefore --- not only because of these troubles but also because I already have this Thirst For Purity blog on which I can share my writing --- to delete The Violet Anthology. The next things I shall be posting are poems from that blog which I had already shared there. I hope that you enjoy them!


Cookies In A Pig
A Poem by: Katie Church

A wandering child in her grandparent's abode
Discovered a cookie jar in a bright pink pig mold
Alarming it was, for the pig smiled with glee
A napkin 'round his neck, and his smile filled with teeth

The child looked o'er the pig jar, not daring to touch
She bent into the cupboard over plates, bowls and such
She lifted the lid of the jar by the ears
Concern on her face, her thoughts full of fears

Who knew how long this jar had been sitting?
But the the girl was determined; there would be no quiting
She peered down the cavernous hole of the head
And she did not scream, but sat gaping instead

Oh, all the treasures of sweet treats she found,
Enough to have candy for all year around!
But there was a problem; the treats were not hers
And we all know how greediness soon stirs

Her first thought was to hide them in a blanket or sack
Until she could place them in her own pink backpack
There they would be safe and no one would know
Before it was too late to stop her selfish stow

Her second thought took her rather by surprise
That she could not steal from her grandparents' with lies
Not from incapability, nor sir
But from guilt over greediness starting to stir

She replaced the lid, or the pig's floppy ears
And stood up, her eyes overflowing with tears
That she might have committed the stern crime of sin
A new resolution to behave then did begin

We can all learn from this short, simple, rhyming account
That some treasures are not what they seem from without
They may be quite temping, and seem even good
But we must not do what's easy, but do what we should


~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~


Cookies In A Pig: Where did the title come from?

I was at my grandparent's house with my dad; he was going to help them fix their lawnmower and trim the yard for them. While we were in the garage, offering our goodbyes, the glass head of a pig sitting on a shelf caught my eye. Correct to my initial assumption, my grandmother told me that it was an old cookie jar. Before one could shout 'John Jacob Jingle-heimer Schmidt' I had my notepad in hand and was writing 'Cookies In A Pig' on the small white page, already cooking up --- no pun intended --- a few lines to a poem.



Does the girl in the poem represent anyone in particular?

I had not really planned on molding her after any certain person, but I guess I took a little piece of myself and put it in her character. The struggle she went through with the candy represents the kinds of struggles I have every single day of my life. They aren't necessarily concerning food or candy, but just greed and selfishness in general. These are my most despised of all sins, and unfortunately the ones I seem to struggle with the most. The girl in the poem also represents, however, the way I want to answer my temptations. God always gives me just enough strength to make the right choice, so that the strength to do right and the temptation to please myself are about equal. Then it's just a matter of the choice I make.

"...with God all things are possible." -Matthew 19:26

No comments:

Post a Comment

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homemsg