Photobucket

October 8, 2011

The Blessing of Suffering



I was always inspired by an interesting quote from the movie 'the Dark Knight': Rachel tells Harvey Dent with a half-encouraging, half-teasing smile, "If you're not getting shot at, you're not doing your job right."

A funny place and a funny quote from which to reap spiritual encouragement. But I believe God really was showing me something through this: 'If you are not being persecuted for your faith in Christ, you're not doing your job right.' In more detail, if I am not reflecting Christ as I ought, and if the world is willing to tolerate my presence (which it would never do if I was really at all like Christ), then I'm not doing my job right.

Just a few days ago, I was encouraged while reading Philippians 1:27, which says, "Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ,..." and Philippians 1:29, "For to you it has been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake," Both of these and many other verses from God's wonderful Word have been causing me to desire 'getting shot at' by the world for the sake of my precious Savior. When it is such a blessing to suffer for Christ, and brings Him so much glory, how can any Christian not want that?...

No comments:

Post a Comment

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homemsg