Photobucket

August 11, 2011

Ephesians Five

Dear Readers,
Over the past few days, I've been reading in Ephesians 5. My plan for over a year now has been to read through the entire Bible, so that I can finally say that I did (and then keep reading and rereading it for the rest of my life). I was ashamed of myself for not getting through this chapter faster (I like to read at least one chapter of the Bible a day, if I can), but my mother reminded me this morning that it would be better to read only one verse a day, meditate on it, and benefit from it through application than to merely brush over a few chapters. I agreed. 

    And then, back to Ephesians 5. I read a few verses this morning that seemed to stand out against the paper more than ever: "Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." (verses 15-17, NASB.)

    John MacArthur explains the meaning of these verses. About verse 15, he writes: "To live morally is to live wisely. Biblically, an "unwise man" is not so named because of intellectual limits, but because of unbelief and the consequent abominable deeds. He lives apart from God and against God's law, and can't comprehend the truth or his true condition. Certainly believers are to avoid behaving like fools." About verse 16: "The Greek word for "time" denotes a fixed, measured, allocated season. We are to make the most of our time on this evil earth in fulfilling God's purposes, lining up every opportunity for useful worship and service. Be aware of the brevity of life." And about verse 17: "Knowing and understanding God's will through His Word is spiritual wisdom. For example, God's will revealed to us is that people should be saved, Spirit-filled, sanctified, submissive, suffering, and thankful. Jesus is the supreme example for all." {extra notes and verse references excluded}

    That spoke to me because, especially of late, I've noticed that my life has not been lived altogether wisely, I certainly haven't been making the most of my time, and I can't see evidence for anything more than the mere desire to live according to God's will. I know my desire is to be so lost in Christ that nothing else in all the world matters at all in comparison, but as I've learned, as long as my flesh encompasses me, I'll never be perfect. Until the day I die, or my Lord returns to take His beloved people home, I will not be able to live a completely righteousness life. But apparently, there's a reward and it honors God for trying, so I'm not giving up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homemsg